Ready to Lead
Fran Watson is a probate attorney, certified mediator, and community advocate. With a passion for equality, Fran believes everyone deserves a life of dignity, equal access, and fair treatment. She knows how to get things done, and she always puts the People First. She is a leader at the local, state, and national level in organizations and committees that all have one thing in common - working for justice. She is experienced and tested, having successfully advocated and lobbied elected officials in Houston and Austin. Now, with endorsements from more than 15 organizations, she is ready to serve her community as a lawmaker.
Fran grew up in poverty. Her mother died when she was 13 years old and, she became a caretaker of her younger brother. Her responsibilities at home were challenging, and at 16, she was expelled from high school for missing too many days. While some had given up on her ability to succeed, with her characteristic determination, Fran did not give up then, and she refuses to give up now.
Determination to Succeed
Fran took the GED exam, enrolled in college, and received her degree from the University of Houston-Downtown. She graduated with s a Bachelor of Science with Honors in Psychology. Fran went on to earn a law degree (with honors) from TSU’s Thurgood Marshall School of Law, where she served as the Executive Editor of Law Review. It is this same dedication and work ethic she will bring to the role of State Senator in District 17.
Fran is a native Houstonian who lives in District 17 with her family and is a member of St. Johns Downtown.
Select Volunteer and Leadership Service
Houston GLBT Political Caucus
- Volunteer Coordinator
New Leaders Council, Houston Chapter
- Chapter Co-Director
- Inaugural Fellow
Harris County Democratic Party
- Resolutions Chair
Honors and Awards
- Houston Business Journal, 40 under 40 Honoree
- New Leaders Council, Mitch Draizan Advocate Award
- About Magazine F.A.C.E. Awards, Volunteer of the Year
- Pride Houston Female Grand Marshal
- National Association of Social Workers- Houston Chapter, Public Citizen of the Year Award
- Houston Transgender Unity Committee, Champion Ally Award
Outsmart Gayest and Greatest Awards
- Favorite Female Community Hero
- Most Prominent LGBT Activist
- League of Women Voters of Houston, Rising Star Award
- Young Black Voices, Empowerment Brunch Honoree
- Lone Star Legal Aid, Pro Bono Award
- Human Rights Campaign, 2015 Austin Gala
- UHD Pre-Law Association, Appreciation Award, Mock Trial Coach